COVID- 19 Lakelands Primary School Community Update.
The school has made the following decisions based on information updates provided by the Department of Education. Additionally, the Health Department website is a valuable source of current information which I am making available to you.
I am writing as a courtesy to all community members to further update you on the evolving situation in response to COVID-19. In consultation with the School Board Chair, Megan Cleary and in response to the Direct General, Lisa Rogers’ current directives Lakelands Primary School will be cancelling all non-essential gatherings for the rest of the term.
This includes the cancellation of:
• Cyber Safety Student & Parent information sessions Wednesday 18th March
• Fathering Project Launch Thursday 19th March
• Harmony Day /Bullying No way day activities Friday 20th March
• Senior Assembly Wednesday 25th March
• Percussion incursion Monday 30th March
• Summer Carnival Wednesday 1st April
• P&C Disco Friday 3rd April
• P&C Sausage Sizzle and Free Dress day Thursday 9th April
• Choir practises
• Friday morning Values assemblies
The Year 6 Coastal Lakes College transition day on Friday 27th May will still go ahead with the following precautions; students are largely kept isolated from the rest of the College population, and will be working in groups of a similar size to what they would experience back at primary school. They all meet together first thing in the morning for about 30 mins, and then they are separated – the College may look at altering the timeframes to limit this brief gathering. Essentially it will be the same as a normal school day so there should be no need for a significant change in arrangements.
The School Board meeting will go ahead as scheduled on Tuesday (17th March 6pm), it is important that the board be updated directly of any developments as a result of the Department’s social isolation measures.
In line with the new directives we have implemented split lunch and recess times for K-2 & 3-6. This was used today with great success by our vigilant staff members.
Other directives include:
• The school remains open with “Business as Usual” until further notice.
• If you or your family return from any overseas destination from midnight 15/3/20 you are to self-isolate for 14 days. Please inform the school.
• If you or a family member come in contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 please self-isolate for 14 days and inform the school.
Lakelands PS will respect the right of parents to make decisions they feel are in the best interest of their children, however students whose parents have chosen to keep them home while the school is operational, the school will NOT be providing homework packages. Staff will focus their energy on minimising the risk to students attending school and the continuity of their classroom teaching and learning.
These measures highlight the increased focus on ensuring a safe and healthy learning environment for students, staff and our school community whilst at Lakelands Primary School. I want to ensure everyone is well aware of and receives clear communication in regards to our ongoing response.
Like you, in your workplace and sporting/social spaces, we are all working and living within “unknown territory”. However we must all work together to ensure the safety, health and wellbeing of all those round us including our families and ourselves.
Lakelands Primary School
Tel: (08) 9584 2601
Fax: (08) 9584 2602