15 November 2019
Dear parents /carers
WA Police Force has put out a community safety message for our area. Please see more details in this Facebook post from police:
In light of this matter, I urge all children to take care when going to and from school and to report anything suspicious to their parents, the school and the police.
You can call 13 14 44 to report an incident to WA Police (only use 000 in an emergency) or 1800 333 000 to reach Crime Stoppers.
Here are some suggestions to help your children stay safe:
- always travel in a group
- walk on the right hand side of the road to face oncoming traffic
- wherever possible, leave space between you and the roadway
- stay in areas that are well lit
- stay in view – avoid going into areas that are hidden (such as parkland bush or behind shopping centres)
- be alert – earphones and headphones can reduce your awareness considerably
- if you have a mobile phone, have it turned on and ready to dial an emergency number
- if a passing car stops nearby, never get too close
- run from a situation if you feel at risk
- give this advice to your brothers and sisters, especially if they are younger
- report suspicious behaviour to your parents, school and the police
- if you can get it safely, try to photograph or remember the number plate of the car
- report number plates of cars and the clothing or distinguishing features of individuals to police
To get the latest community safety information from police, visit WA Police on Facebook www.facebook.com/WA.Police or online at www.police.wa.gov.au.
If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact me at school.